Another big day. We knew that fuel was going to be an issue and so we carried spare fuel to the extent that we would have at least 50km extra mileage to appease my neurotic nature. Yes, you know what’s coming. So as we leave Clarence reserve(more about that later), Bernie mentions his reserve fuel light has come on. Of course the natural thing is not to believe it because , well, why would you. So we bypass our brains and head off down the road. After about 3 km my fuel light comes on, which I mention to my riding buddies. At this point there is petrol 20km behind us and 60km ahead of us. Of course we choose to take the impossible maths solution and go forward because we are truly dumb pricks. In case you are wondering, the reserve gets you 40 km. 10km later Dave’s fuel light is also on. Somehow, not unexpectedly , if you can do year 1 maths, Bernie runs out of fuel 25k from Waiau(our target). By then I had about 35 km on my reserve so I knew I was poked as well. Utilising the hope of the hopeless I tucked behind the screen, ride at 50 km an hour and coasted in anything even vaguely downhill. The gods were kind and after riding 60km on reserve we reached town and hiccup averted. In the meantime some nice fellow had given Bernie fuel as well and so he arrive just as I was leaving town on the rescue job. Lesson 1. Don’t be stupid pricks, maths never lies. Lesson 2. There are nice people around. He even refused payment for the fuel. Pity as Bernie tried to pay me for the fuel I had for him and I kinda couldn’t really accept. I got him to buy me coffee and food at twice the cost because I am a bottom feeder.
So last night we slept in the Clarence. Of course it’s summer and so it is bitterly cold at night as it’s New Zealand. Bernie told me to take an extra blanket from the handy supply there but obviously I didn’t as it’s summer in NZ. By 2 in the morning I was numb with cold but I couldn’t get a blanket then as a: it would be humiliating and b: I would wake the others up to witness my humiliation. Pricks.
It was a long night.
Today was a day of 2 halves. In the morning we crossed the Clarence river and entered the Station number 3, the Clarence reserve, now in DOC hands. Again ride some awesome trails up and down some big hills. Pretty technical trail to a place called Willow Hut ( made of hewed Willow in 1920’s and sort of still standing). Then back the same way and out over the seaward Kaikoura range. Really cool riding up a valley through something like 20 creek crossings and then a mega climb and steep descent with serious exposure on the way down. Epic.
The afternoon was spent riding in rain and very cold temperatures to Methven via Christchurch because my GPS is also a prick. Thankfully there were 10million road cones to keep us safe. Who in government has shares in the cone company?
Ok, must go. Tomorrow we travel South through the Mckenzie country. Big sky’s.
By the way, the tractor in the pictures was our plan B to cross the Clarence. Famous on country calendar. Yes we would have been poked if plan A hadn’t worked.
And also, my blogging app just deposits the photos where it likes in amongst my drivel.
Love it ! Fantastic blog as usual Charles .. sounds as though you are having such an awesome time
ReplyDelete