Saturday, February 1, 2020

Prelude

It’s that time again, when we are off on an adventure ride. This time we going to explore the ranges and valleys of the South Island. Who is we? And well you might ask, as at this point I’m not too sure myself. Dave Lear is coming, a regular riding buddy over the last few years. You will hear more of him. For now, he has been a key part of the planning team, reliable in a good way and with an enjoyable dry sense of humour. Master researcher and organiser. Rides a KTM 690 Enduro. 
There is Bernie. Bernie is a giant and one of those people that forever helps and supports others. He has picked me and my bikes up a million tunes. He is an expert rider and has no fear. Also a key part of the organising committee. Rides a KTM 990 Adventure like an enduro bike. 
There is Dave Mac. Famous from previous blogs. Excellent company. Brilliant engineer. Nobody better in a crisis. Can’t tell time. Doesn’t sleep. Rides the new KTM 790 Adventure R. We do not know if he is coming. He is working on a need to know basis and we do not yet need to know. 
There is me,Charles. I am the inspiration. I contribute little else as I have no relevant skills but without some sort of glue, the whole world would fall apart. I ride a KTM 690 Enduro R. 

To my mind, the 690 is the perfect balance of a bike you can ride 4000km on and still do some pretty technical off roading. It’s light and has a great engine, great brakes and great suspension. It has lots of quirks which I have overcome through the expenditure of vast amounts of money. It is an incredibly engaging bike to ride. That is all you need to know for now. 
It’s no secret that I love the South, especially the dry bits of central Otago, with its extremely varied mountains changing from steep beech covered rocky mountains to more rolling tussock covered rocky mountains further east. All of it is spectacular and there is no shortage of rock. And rivers. 
On this trip we are heading there from home, spending 2days riding in the Clarence Valley with the night spent in a shearer’s hut. It should be awesome. 
Then South through Otago crossing many of the ranges in various ways until eventually back home via Hanmer Springs, hot pools, the Rainbow Road , Picton and home. 

Let’s pack. 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1SUhjdZst563gmfp85fIhizvY5U1d3e70And a photo of the 690, really just to see whether the hand held blogging tech works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment